Date: 5/16/18 4:59 pm
From: Brandon Caswell <brandon.caswell83...>
Subject: [ia-bird] Burrowing Owl and much more!
Birders,

I left home at 3am to ensure I'd be at the BURROWING OWL steak out at
sunrise. I was quickly rewarded with some great looks and photos. Thanks
for getting on this one Jacob! The owl was sitting not far off the west
side of the road on a small dirt mound. The rest of the day was non-stop
filled with birds. I finished the day with *124 species*, including 17
warbler and 15 shorebird.

*Highlights*

*Georgia Ave (SE of owl)*: continuing HUDSONIAN GODWIT, STILT SANDPIPER
(FOY), DUNLIN

*Big Wall Lake*: I had 61 species in about half on hour on the E/SE side
including GRAY-CHEEKED and SWAINSON'S THRUSH; a dozen warblers, including
CANADA, MOURNING and WILSON'S; more YELLOW-HEADED BLACKBIRDS (FOY) than you
could shake a stick at; at least two calling COMMON GALLINULES (FOY)

*Legacy WA*: If Pintail is David than Legacy is Goliath! It will be fun to
watch this place evolve like Pintain did. There were two gorgeous
BLACK-BELLIED PLOVERS (FOY) in white wizard plumage. Also, many
GRASSHOPPER SPARROWS, a continuing GREAT-TAILED GRACKLE (FOY); a fly-in of
13 SEMIPALMATED PLOVERS

*Pintail Wetland*: a late GREATER WHITE-FRONTED GOOSE

I needed one bird to push my Tama County list over 100. I figured I could
fix that at Hickory Hills Park, but decided to go to *Otter Creek Marsh*
instead. That was a good decision! North of Tama I had a BLACK-CROWNED
NIGHT-HERON sitting randomly on a utility wire near a creek, which posed
for pictures! At Otter Creek I hiked from the observation platform all the
way down to the end of the dike and back. I added several more shorebird
species for the day, including a SANDERLING. There were four SNOW GEESE
and two WHITE-FACED IBIS (FOY) and another Black-crowned Night-Heron that
flew right over me on the dike. There were MANY white egrets much further
back in the marsh, waving in the heat distortion.

I ended up getting my Tama list to 109 and my Hardin from 93 to 110. My
Wright list went from 0 to 67 in one quick visit, always nice!

A fun day to be out with migration still in obvious swing!

Good birding,
Brandon Caswell
Marion