Date: 5/16/18 4:20 pm
From: Al Stokie <alstokie99...> [ILbirds] <ILbirds-noreply...>
Subject: IBET Montrose & LaBagh Woods Wed 5-16-18
Hello Bird People,

I knew that Montrose would not be anything special with the east winds
at the lakefront but I hoped that the Piping Plover would be around as
shorebirds are less affected by the wind direction. But there was no
Piping Plover & no shorebirds at all except Killdeer & Spotted
Sandpipers. I heard that a Semipalmated Plover was there but I did not
see it.

Even on a bad day Montrose always has some land birds & today I had 13
warbler species. I'll list all 13 & then give a few other highlights.

Montrose Hedge Area

Warblers

Tennessee (4), Nashville (1), Yellow (2), Magnolia (4), Cape May
(1-F), Y.R. Myrtle (1), Palm (5),
Black & White (1), Redstart (10), Ovenbird (1), Northern Waterthrush
(4), Common Yellowthroat (5)
& Wilson's (1).

Other Highlights

Thrushes were Veery (2), Gray Cheeked (1) & Swainson's & 1 Eastern
Kingbird was FOY for me if for no one else. Also saw 1 Thrasher & 1
Cedar Waxwing. The only Vireo was the resident Warbling Vireo.

LaBagh Woods

What Bill B said is very true as the water is everywhere at LaBagh.
All lower trails by the river are completely or partially under water.
About all you can navigate is the walkway along the old railroad
tracks & the high trail on the east side of the river.

Here I saw 2 Green Herons, 2 Wood Ducks & Mallards. Also 1 male Rose
Breasted Grosbeak, 2 Lincoln's Sparrows & the only Thrush was
Swainson's.

Warblers were Nashville (1), Magnolia (4), Chestnut Sided (1), Y.R.
Myrtle (2), Northern Waterthrush (5), Common Yellowthroat (4) Wilson's
(1) &, the highlight of the day, 1 male BLACK THROATED BLUE.

Sparrows were Swamp (1), Lincoln's (2) & White Crowned. Baltimore
Orioles provided some color. I had a probable Olive Sided Flycatcher
at the top of a very tall dead tree but it flew & did not return so I
could not make sure.

Ended the day with more front yard warblers in Park Ridge seeing
Nashville (1-2), Tennessee (5) (many singing), CAPE MAY (1-M & 1-F),
Blackpoll (1-M & 1-F), BAY BREASTED (1-M & 1-F),
Palm (2) & Redstart (1-F). I have never had warblers like this before
in my yard!

So somehow I had 17 species of warblers after all with 13 at Montrose,
2 more at LaBagh & 2
at home in Park Ridge.

Bird-Of-The-Day to the male Black Throated Blue & Runner-Up to the
male Cape May at home.

Al Stokie
Making the best of it in Cook County

Posted by: Al Stokie <alstokie99...>