Date: 5/16/18 3:16 pm
From: 'Wendy Ward' via NHBirds <nhbirds...>
Subject: [NHBirds] Re: Do birds hate Keene?
Last fall much of the powerlines in Keene and Swanzey were cut, also large
areas of shrub wetlands were cut down at the Airport, the Ash Swamp Brook
and KCS Stadium. While periodic cutting is necessary to keep some of these
areas from returning to mature forest, cutting the entire habitat block
over such a critical are is not optimal for wildlife and birds. I am not
sure why such an extended are was cut in all these places this year. I
used to know some people at the city and the college that would make
thoughtful decisions or at least consider them. It has been quite a few
years since I have talked to anyone at the city or the college. Also the
pond at Ash Swamp is now frequented by people fishing, less solitude for
the birds.

I'm not saying this is the reason they didn't stick around, but it could be
a factor.