Date: 5/16/18 2:57 pm
From: Fran M <franmmmk...> [ILbirds] <ILbirds-noreply...>
Subject: IBET Re: banded Piping Plover at Montrose 5.15.18
Fran Morel
<https://www.facebook.com/fran.morel.967?fref=gc&dti=278614168843703> from
Stephanie Beilke on Facebook COS page:
One of my coworkers, Sarah Saunders, is formerly on the Great Lakes Piping
Plover team from when she did her post-doc! Here is her report:

"Very cool sighting! Of,B/OR:X,L just hatched last year in the captive
rearing center. Its mother was a long-time breeder at Sleeping Bear Dunes
(and one of the few females that has attempted and successfully raised 2
broods in one season!!), but was killed by a suspected dog off leash about
a week prior to the expected hatch date.

The eggs were taken into captive rearing, and 3 chicks successfully fledged
and were released at Sleeping Bear on July 5 (including this guy). So, long
story short, we don’t know where this bird will show up to breed – likely
Sleeping Bear. What’s really exciting is that she looks to be female to me,
which we could always use more of, so fingers crossed she makes it across
the lake and finds a mate to settle down with!"

On Tue, May 15, 2018 at 8:38 PM, Fran M <franmmmk...> wrote:

> I know some birders, like myself, enjoy hearing the history of banded
> birds...where and when they were born, and any other "travel" information
> available. This is especially true of declining species, as it helps us
> learn valuable information regarding the bird. I was able to blow up photos
> of the Piping Plover at Montrose today, and submitted the bands for data
> retrieval. Perhaps someone already has done this, but if not, I'll circle
> back with the information when I get it.
>
> Fran Morel
> Evanston, Cook Co.

Join us on Facebook!