Date: 5/16/18 2:58 pm
From: Andrea Robinsong <aturdusong...> [wsbn] <wsbn-noreply...>
Subject: [wsbn] Curved-billed Thrasher and more in my yard
I worked all morning trying to ID this thrasher. I’m sending a recording to eBird. I did briefly get a look and it’s consistent with CUTH. I’ve heard it calling in the yard for a week or so but today it can’t stop singing.
There are more than twenty Evening Grosbeaks here feasting on Elm seeds and sunflower seeds.
Six male Lazuli Buntings returned to the yard several weeks ago. Three of them are the sons of a male Indigo Bunting x Lazuli Bunting cross. The Indigo spent one summer here and double clutched with his Lazuli mate. All three of the hybrids are distinctive. I recognize them every year. The three others may be crosses too but they look like normal LABU. They travel with the hybrids.
There have been two other new yard birds this year in addition to the CUTH- both singing: Grey Catbird and Gray Vireo. New species are few and far between in my yard.
Good birding!
Andrea Robinsong
Hotchkiss

Join us on Facebook!