Date: 5/16/18 1:18 pm
From: John Weeks via CTBirds <ctbirds...>
Subject: [CT Birds] Suffield WMA: 2 SANDHILL CRANES, Meadowlarks, Grasshopper Sparrows, Mourning Warbler
My partner Dick Haas saw the two cranes fly up from the field and disappear just before I arrived. A half-hour or so later, one of them reappeared, called once and flew directly over our heads!

Three Grasshopper Sparrows and two Meadowlarks were singing. A Mourning Warbler on the fringes of the marsh in the SE corner of the Wildlife Mgt Area sang distinctly twice, but refused to show himself.

Complete eBird list is below.

John Weeks
North Granby

Suffield WMA (Atlas Block 7E), Hartford, Connecticut, US
May 16, 2018 9:00 AM - 11:39 AM
Protocol: Traveling
1.7 mile(s)
Comments: Observers: Dick Haas and John Weeks. Overcast skies, becoming mix of sun and clouds. 61 F at start.
39 species

Canada Goose 10
Wood Duck 3
Mallard 1
Great Blue Heron 2 One bird on a nest
Cooper's Hawk 2
Red-tailed Hawk 1
Sandhill Crane 1 Bird called and flew directly overhead. Unmistakable. Dick saw two of them rise from the far (south) end of the field shortly before I arrived. The single bird we both saw flew north, then doubled back southward to the east of us. There are former turf farms in neighboring Southwick, MA, just to the east of the Suffield WMA, that may be attractive to them.
Mourning Dove 1
Ruby-throated Hummingbird 1
Red-bellied Woodpecker 2
Hairy Woodpecker 1
Northern Flicker 2
Great Crested Flycatcher 1
Eastern Kingbird 2
Warbling Vireo 2
Red-eyed Vireo 1
Blue Jay 1
American Crow 1
Tree Swallow 1
Bank Swallow 1
White-breasted Nuthatch 1
Blue-gray Gnatcatcher 1
Gray Catbird 1
Northern Mockingbird 1
European Starling 1
Mourning Warbler 1
Common Yellowthroat 4 Saw a male chasing another male from field to tree line and back.
Yellow Warbler 2
Prairie Warbler 2
Grasshopper Sparrow 3 All three birds were singing naturally.
Field Sparrow 2
Savannah Sparrow 2 Both birds were teed up and singing.
Song Sparrow 2
Indigo Bunting 4 One male chased another, with a female nearby.
Eastern Meadowlark 2 Both birds teed up and singing.
Baltimore Oriole 1
Red-winged Blackbird 20 Estimated count. Most of these were in a flock foraging in corn stubble.
Common Grackle 10
American Goldfinch 3

View this checklist online at https://ebird.org/view/checklist/S45740902