Date: 5/16/18 11:32 am
From: Joel Geier <joel.geier...>
Subject: [Umpqua Birds] Re: Douglas Long-eared Owls
Hi Russ & all,

Very cool to hear about the Long-eared Owls that you found west of
Riddle! We've only had a handful of records from the Benton County coast
range during nesting season. I think Jim Fairchild found a few during
his years of doing Spotted Owl surveys years back. Then a couple of
years ago, after I heard what sounded like a pair around our yard, I
heard from an owl surveyor who had found a pair on McDonald-Dunn Forest
(OSU's research forest north of Corvallis) who said they'd found a pair
there in two successive years. That area was logged just before I had
those detections in our yard.

But a word of caution on those begging calls by juveniles later in
summer: We did have several elite-level Benton Co. birders who got
snookered by a Great Horned Owl juvenile that was still begging a little
later in the season than typical. Begging GHOWs sound a little raspier
than begging Long-eared Owls. But apparently if the sound is softened by
intervening dense foliage, even birders who are highly experienced at
identifying birds by calls can get fooled.

So -- just a heads-up -- in case anyone does want to try out that
research protocol in Douglas Co. later on this summer, be on the lookout
for Great Horned Owls doing a similar call. I think it's possible to
tell the difference if you're anticipating this possibility and being
appropriately cautious.

Joel

--
Joel Geier