Date: 5/16/18 10:49 am
From: Bird observations from western New York <geneseebirds-l...>
Subject: [GeneseeBirds-L] Indian Fort Preserve & West Sparta
I went over to the Indian Fort Preserve for a little bit this morning and met Judy Gurley coming along one of the paths. I heard and briefly saw my first Scarlet Tanager of the season. Both this and a two busy Blue-gray Gnatcatchers were along the downhill gravel road. Hooded Warblers we’re singing in two areas in the woods. A special treat was seeing a Mourning Warbler working its way though the brush near the uphill pond - a new species for my Indian Fort Preserve list. Just after that Judy looked up and spotted an Orchard Oriole, an adult male.
I had some business out in West Sparta so did some light birding along some of the rural roads. Of special interest was a Meadowlark singing opposite the town hall on Kysorville-Byersville Rd. and a few Bobolinks singing and chasing about in a grass field just a little south of there.

Jim Kimball
<kimball...>