Date: 5/16/18 7:49 am
From: PAM CHRIS <pcscranton...>
Subject: [COBOL] SUMMER LAKE
Pam and I went down to Summer Lake Sunday afternoon so we could attend the meeting with ODFW on Monday at Summer Lake Lodge. ODFW held a presentation regarding 560 acre addition to the refuge from a willing seller. Anyone going to birder’s night tomorrow can find out more about this as Marty StLouis will give a brief presentation before Elise does hers. Warm weather at SL (high of 75). Spent Tuesday morning up the Fremont Point Road (FP- free of snow) Also stopped by Fort Rock (FR) and Cabin Lake (CL) on the way back yesterday. Total of 105 species between the three locations. A Cassin’s Vireo sings from a tree in my yard as I write this. Chris Scranton

Summer Lake

Canada Goose
Trumpeter Swan
Gadwall
American Widgeon
Mallard
Cinnamon Teal
Northern Pintail
Northern Shoveler
Canvasback
Redhead
Lesser Scaup
Bufflehead
Ruddy Duck
Eared Grebe
Western Grebe
Clark’s Grebe (1)
American White Pelican
Double-crested Cormorant
American Bittern
Great Egret
Black-crowned Night Heron
White-faced Ibis
Turkey Vulture
Osprey
Bald Eagle (FR)
Northern Harrier
Swainson’s Hawk (near FR)
Red-tailed Hawk
Ferruginous Hawk (near FR)
American Kestrel (FR)
Prairie Falcon (pair at FR)
Sooty Grouse (male displaying on FP road)
Virginia Rail
Sora (calling all night)
American Coot
Sandhill Crane
Snowy Plover (20)
Killdeer
Black-necked Stilt
American Avocet
Willet
Spotted Sandpiper
Long-billed Curlew
Long-billed Dowitcher
Wilson’s Phalarope
Red-necked Phalarope
Franklin’s Gull
Ring-billed Gull
California Gull
Caspian Tern
Forster’s Tern
Black Tern (2 together)
Rock Pigeon (FR)
Eurasian Collared Dove
Mourning Dove
Great Horned Owl (one with recently fledged young)
Vaux’s Swift
White-throated Swift (FR)
Lewis’s Woodpecker (FP)
Red-napped Sapsucker(FP)
Hairy Woodpecker (FP)
Northern Flicker (FP)
Western Kingbird
Warbling Vireo (FP)
Steller’s Jay (FP)
Clark’s Nutcracker (CL)
Black-billed Magpie
American Crow (FR)
Common Raven
Tree Swallow
Cliff Swallow
Barn Swallow (FR)
Mountain Chickadee (FP)
Red-breasted Nuthatch (FP)
White-breasted Nuthatch (CL)
Brown Creeper (FP)
Rock Wren (FR)
House Wren (FP)
Marsh Wren
Blue-gray Gnatcatcher (FP)
Western Bluebird
Mountain Bluebird (FP)
American Robin
Sage Thrasher
European Starling
Yellow Warbler
Yellow-Romped Warbler ( 1 myrtle race)
Common Yellowthroat
Green-tailed Towhee (FP first few miles abundant)
Spotted Towhee
Chipping Sparrow (FP)
Brewer’s Sparrow (FP)
Lark Sparrow (in orchard SL)
Savannah Sparrow
Fox Sparrow (FP first few miles abundant)
Song Sparrow
Lazuli Bunting
Red-winged Blackbird
Western Meadowlark
Yellow-headed Blackbird
Brewer’s Blackbird
Bullock’s Oriole
Red Crossbill (CL)
American Goldfinch
House Sparrow

Also saw coyotes, a buck pronghorn, mule deer,muskrats, a short-tailed weasel and a raccoon at Summer Lake