Date: 5/16/18 7:03 am
From: Pam Piombino <piombino.pam...>
Subject: [cobirds] 5/22 Boulder County Audubon, MAY Program, Awards and Neotropical Birding with Joel Such
Please join us for our last program of the season. We will be presenting
the inimitable Ruth Wright with a Lifetime Achievement Award. We will also
honor Ann Cooper and Marti and George Oetzel for the major contributions
they have made in science and research in Boulder County. Our Teen
Naturalists will present a short slide presentation of their best photos
from this past years outing and then we will present our featured speaker, Joel
Such. His presentation description below.

Neotropical Birding, Banding, and Other Avian Adventures

Tuesday, May 22, 2018, 7:15 p.m.

Unitarian-Universalist Church 5001 Pennsylvania Ave. Boulder, CO

*Presentation by Joel Such*

Joel Such, a co-founder of Boulder County Audubon Teen Naturalists, will
share his solo adventures of two winters in Latin America spent traveling,
birding, and contributing to avian research and conservation. During his
first winter, Joel spent a month in Belize before moving on to Guatemala
where he traveled extensively for four months birding different ecosystems,
and working as a bird bander and photographer. This winter, Joel banded
birds in Costa Rica for three months. He recently traveled on to Colombia
where he is currently birding, guiding, and teaching English. Joel’s
presentation will follow his journey and be illustrated by his stunning
photographs of birds and their habitats.

Joel Such is a 19-year-old artist/photographer, writer, and field
researcher from Lyons. His intense passion for the avian world was fully
ignited by age two. Growing up in the foothills of Colorado’s Front Range,
Joel has pursued birds with unwavering devotion and has contributed to a
wide range of biological field projects and environmental education. These
experiences include being a field technician for the Colorado Breeding Bird
Atlas and a bird bander for projects in Colorado, Ohio, Guatemala, and
Costa Rica.