Date: 5/16/18 5:28 am
From: John Dillon <kisforkryptonite...>
Subject: Re: [LABIRD-L] Mississippi Kite Question
Nancy/LABIRD,

I work at Minden High School in Webster Parish, and we always have kites here near the end of the spring semester. Monday while I was on afternoon bus duty, I watched a pair circling above the old oaks in the residential neighborhood where the school is. They seemed to be courting, with one (I assume the male), doing impressive acrobatic dives, swoops, and rolls from about 150 feet up down into one of our parking lots and pulling back just about 8 or 10 feet from the ground. If you’ve ever seen an old prop stunt plane at an airshow zoom straight down at the ground doing rolls, it did that once. Very cool.

John Dillon
Athens, LA

> On May 15, 2018, at 5:36 PM, Lana downing <lanadowning...> wrote:
>
> Just saw one being chased by an angry Mockingbird.
>
> Sent from my iPhone
>
>> On May 15, 2018, at 4:55 PM, Nancy L Newfield <nancy...> wrote:
>>
>> LABIRDers,
>>
>> Last week or so, there was a query about Mississippi Kites nesting in
>> urban/suburban areas. I responded that they nest in my neighborhood and I
>> am seeing 2 or 3 daily. However, driving around Metairie, I am not sure
>> that I am seeing as many as in previous years.
>>
>> It seemed that they arrived later than usual. Maybe I am just remembering
>> July and August when young are on the wing. I would like to hear other
>> folks's take on this.
>>
>> Please post to the list so all can benefit from your opinions.
>>
>> Nan
>> --
>> Nancy L Newfield
>> Casa ColibrĂ­