Date: 5/15/18 9:02 pm
From: Wade Snyder <dry_fly_fisherman1...>
Subject: Jefferson Co. Mississippi Kite; Dickcissel
Hello All,

This evening after work I heard a Dickcissel calling and singing from an apple tree as I was exiting the orchard.

Earlier in the day I had checked on the resident Red-tailed Hawk nest site and observed three chicks peering over the edge of the nest. While watching the nest one of the adults flew in with a branch with green leaves. I have included a photo of the nest site and some photos of the Dickcissel in the following ebird list.

Appalachian Fruit Research Station, Bardane list

https://ebird.org/view/checklist/S45722999

Upon leaving the parking lot of the station I decided to take a quick drive over to Burr Industrial Park Ponds in hopes of spotting some more shorebirds. Instead I was treated to an overhead aerial show from a Mississippi Kite dining while in flight. I just did not have time to stop my truck and get set for better photos. However I did manage to get a few for documentation of the Kite. It is kind of interesting that I had seen a Mississippi Kite two different days a couple of weeks ago while visiting my son in South Carolina. I never thought I would be seeing one here in WV. Photos of today's Kite may be viewed in the following ebird list.

Burr Industrial Park, Bardane list

https://ebird.org/view/checklist/S45722762

N. Wade Snyder

Shenandoah Junction