Date: 5/15/18 8:27 pm
From: LAURIE WALBEK <gwalbek...>
Subject: [cobirds] Golden-crowned Warbler Update/ADVISORY
Folks,

Just before dark and in light rain, two other birds were able to hear the warbler sing a few times. The rain may improve the chances the bird will be there tomorrow. I spoke to the lessees living there and told them to expect many people and cars tomorrow. I assured them all birders will stay on the county road. They are more than receptive to the expected crowds. Once again they do not own the property and can not grant access to anything off the county road.

Now the bad news. It is/was pouring rain when we left. One birder in a 4 wheel drive truck nearly didn't make it out. I have worked out here for 4 years and can assure you the dirt roads become hazardous with even a little rain. It rained a lot! Getting to the spot requires travel over 10 miles of dirt road minimum, from any direction. Driving this distance in mud is not advised. There will be a few people in 4 wheel drive autos attempting to get early tomorrow. I have asked them to send me road condition status so I can post to this listserv.

I hope the bird sticks, the roads are passable and everyone gets a chance to see it! But don't risk injury, death or getting stuck. Especially death.

Glenn Walbek

Castle Rock, CO (currently in Burlington)