Date: 5/15/18 3:08 pm
From: 'Hugh Kingery' via Colorado Birds <cobirds...>
Subject: [cobirds] Spring Counts - ANC Cat (Jeffco) & RMA NWR (Adams)

We had terrific birds on our two Spring counts last weekend

For the Audubon Nature Center trails, we counted 72 species, and on the 'Drive Around' from Waterton to Roxborough Park Road, we counted 41 species; all told on the two, 83 species. Lots of swallows (630), 128 House Wrens, & 124 Yellow Warblers. Only 3 species of warbler. Most surprising: on the prairie south of Titan Road, an Osprey perched on a power pole, and below it on a fence line, a Bobolink sang.

At Rocky Mountain Arsenal National Wildlife Refuge, we had whopping 117 species, about 4200 birds. This included 1900 swallows, 830 sparrows (268 of them rolling flocks of Lark Buntings), only 50 House Wrens and 39 Yellow Warblers; 7 species of warbler, including a Black-throated Green & 2 Northern Waterthrushes. The afore-reported Vermilion Flycatcher, and a Summer Tanager. All the rarities but the one in places not open to the public.

Hugh Kingery