Date: 5/15/18 2:01 pm
From: Al Stokie <alstokie99...> [ILbirds] <ILbirds-noreply...>
Subject: IBET Waukegan Beach/Sea Horse Drive, Pershing Rd Fluddle, State Line Beach & Illinois Beach South Tues 5-15-18
Welcome To The Land Of High Water Bird People,

Some of the roads in the Waukegan area were flooded & you had to drive
through them very slowly.
This was mostly true of Sea Horse Dr & Pershing Rd. Saw the glamour
birds (GLOSSY IBIS & HUDSONIAN GODWIT) at 7 a.m. I had gone to see the
Godwit not knowing that the Ibis was at the same spot. Quite a treat
to get them both. Other shorebirds at that location were Greater &
Lesser Yellowlegs, Solitary & Pectoral Sandpipers & Killdeer.

Pershing Rd Fluddle

Shorebirds here were both Yellowlegs, Solitary Sandpiper & Dunlin (2).
Also a Great Blue, Geese,
Mallards & B.W. Teal. Others saw Yellow Headed Blackbirds (2) here but
I did not.

Waukegan Beach Proper

Only a few shorebirds here but we had one Ruddy Turnstone land on the
pier & later a jogger flushed a WILLET which flew by. Saw a small
group of Least Sandpipers fly by & Bob Erickson also saw Black Bellied
Plovers & Dowitchers (probably Short Billed) also fly by.

State Line Beach

Disappointed that only Killdeer & Spotted Sandpipers were here we were
happier when Andy Stewart re-found the BLUE GROSBEAK at about 9 a.m.
in the same place it has been seen. Interesting bird with its all blue
head & all brown body. Must have been hidden or elsewhere when Eric
looked for it today.

Illinois Beach South Unit

On the beach were only Killdeer & Spotted Sandpipers, Ring Billed &
Herring Gulls & flying by were Caspian & Common Terns. Also saw an
immature & then an adult BALD EAGLE flying near the beach. Later we
found an OSPREY in a tree eating a very large fish it had caught.

Although we weren't working on them we still had 12 species of
warblers with the best being
Blue Winged, Parula, Orange Crowned & Blackpoll. Also had a Lincoln's
Sparrow, a female ORCHARD ORIOLE & 2 male Bluebirds.

Then I topped off the birds with several species seen in my front &
back yards including a Brown Thrasher with no tail and the warblers
were Tennessee, Cape May, male Blackburnian, female Blackpoll & Palm
Warblers. Best bird here was one Philly Vireo.

Bird-Of-The-Day has to be the Glossy Ibis which was a new county bird
for me & I have a lot of Lake County birds. Runners-Up to the Godwit,
the Willet & the Blue Grosbeak.

Al Stokie
Getting the big ticket birds in Lake County today

Posted by: Al Stokie <alstokie99...>

<*> Your email settings:
Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to: