Date: 5/15/18 11:58 am
From: Korducki <korducki...>
Subject: [wisb] Milwaukee/Ozaukee May Count
We ran the annual combined Milwaukee/Ozaukee County May Count on Saturday May 12th. I have been the compiler of this count since taking it over from the late Mary Donald back in the early 1990's. Despite a cold, rainy start we recorded a solid 188 species for the day. There were an additional 20 count week species proving that we could hit 200 species as we did one prior time.

Highlights included 18 ducks including all 3 scoters, Eared Grebe, Red-throated Loon, Hudsonian Godwit amongst a weak crop of shorebirds, Little Gull, White-eyed Vireo, Carolina Wren, Northern Mockingbird, 29 warblers including Worm-eating, Prothonotary and Connecticut, LeConte's Sparrow. The late spring likely aided our high duck total and allowed such birds as junco and American Tree Sparrow to linger. It had been a strong migration in SE Wisconsin for the past 12 days and many of the migrants were lingering.

Some bad misses were Eastern Screech Owl due to the rain pre-dawn. First time we ever missed that one. Other big misses included Northern Harrier and Mourning Warbler. We also did not record any cuckoos or goatsuckers.

Thanks to all for your help counting and for Ebird in making my job a much easier one.

Mark Korducki, New Berlin, WI