Date: 5/15/18 9:46 am
From: Aelita J Pinter <apinter...>
Subject: Re: [LABIRD-L] Crow's breakfast
Trond, you wrote:

>>>Over here in Norway we kinda like them, their arrival heralds the coming of spring and the end of winterís cold and ice, and we love that.

Exactly - I remember that very well! We used to put up nest boxes for them. Over the winter these were taken over by sparrows.

Every spring we watched the same spectacle, starlings evicting the sparrows. The sparrows would brace themselves inside the nest box, screeching their little heads off as the starlings tried to drag them out - by a wing, by a leg, anything they could get a hold of. The battle could last for quite a while, sparrows are tough cookies. In the end the starlings always won.

Lita Pinter
New Orleans

> 15. mai 2018 kl. 16:24 skrev Robert Thomas <rathomas...>:
>
> Assume this is commonly seen by listserv members, but I watched a crow
> pecking at a juvenile starling while I sat at a traffic light in Metairie.
> The crow was surrounded by several adult starlings who were agitated, but
> not attacking the crow. The crow ultimately flew away with the juvie,
> followed by the starlings.
> Crow eating starlings - for whom do you feel compassion???
>
> On Tue, May 15, 2018 at 8:11 AM, janine robin <janinerobin1982...>
> wrote:
>
>> My husband, Paul, just observed an American crow pulling out a MOLE from
>> it's small round hole ( where we sprinkle seed for the birds). The crow
>> pecked it, then held it up in it's bill, then dropped it and pecked again.
>> The crow did this 2 or 3 times, then flew off with it.
>> Janine Robin
>> Folsom LA
>> St Tammany parish
>>

> --
> *Robert A. Thomas, Ph.D., Professor & Director*
> Loyola Distinguished Scholar Chair in Environmental Communication
> Center for Environmental Communication
> School of Mass Communication
> &
> Environmental Program Faculty
> Loyola University Box 199
> New Orleans, LA 70118 USA
> Office: 327 Communications/Music Complex
> Voice 504-865-2107
> Cell 504-909-6568
> Fax 504-865-3799
> @DrBobNatureNote
> https://na01.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=www.loyno.edu%2Flucec&data=01%7C01%<7Capinter...>%7Cfa15a2231cb54498e29808d5ba7712bf%7C31d4dbf540044469bfeedf294a9de150%7C0&sdata=1GWIrTFNoHyHR13NH7f4lV9zYfIn9QaUMPSR7zvuxcU%3D&reserved=0

NOTICE: This message, including all attachments transmitted with it, is intended solely for the use of the Addressee(s) and may contain information that is PRIVILEGED, CONFIDENTIAL, and/or EXEMPT FROM DISCLOSURE under applicable law. If you are not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any disclosure, copying, distribution, or use of the information contained herein is STRICTLY PROHIBITED. If you received this communication in error, please destroy all copies of the message, whether in electronic or hard copy format, as well as attachments and immediately contact the sender by replying to this email or contact the sender at the telephone numbers listed above. Thank you!

Join us on Facebook!