Date: 5/15/18 8:41 am
From: Marc Ribaudo via VA-bird <va-bird...>
Subject: [VA-bird] Leesyvlania State Park, 5/15

Peter Ross and I birded Leesylvania State Park in Woodbridge this morning, and migration continues to hum along. A nice group of migrants on the hillside contained most of the warbler species we encountered (16 species for the morning), including Wilson's, Cape May, blackpoll, black-throated blue, black-and-white, parula, magnolia, chestnut-sided, American redstart, common yellowthroat, yellow-throated, and yellow-rumped. A Canada was at the boardwalk, along with the resident prothonotary. Thrushes are pushing through and we had 4 or 5 Swainson's and 2 gray-cheeked. One gray-cheeked was singing, which is a real treat. I tallied 62 species in all.

After leaving Leesylvania I stopped at Metz for a quick visit. The highlight was a pair of willow flycatchers along the edge of the marsh. Willows used to nest there, so hopefully this pair will also. I also added a northern waterthrush to my warbler list for the day.

Marc Ribaudo
<moribaudo...>