Date: 5/15/18 8:18 am
From: Trond Nilsen <trond.nilsen...>
Subject: Re: [LABIRD-L] Crow's breakfast
Over here, some years ago I witnessed two magpies kill one adult starling, taking turns pecking. Pretty gruesome sight. And it wasn’t food they were after, because finished they just flew off...

That did not rock my feelings for magpies however, theyr’e still one of my favourites. I have a couple nesting in my garden now, foul language of course but smart and pretty..

I know you guys don’t like starlings. Over here in Norway we kinda like them, their arrival heralds the coming of spring and the end of winter’s cold and ice, and we love that.

Good birding y’all, spring is finally here!
Trond
SE Norway

> 15. mai 2018 kl. 16:24 skrev Robert Thomas <rathomas...>:
>
> Assume this is commonly seen by listserv members, but I watched a crow
> pecking at a juvenile starling while I sat at a traffic light in Metairie.
> The crow was surrounded by several adult starlings who were agitated, but
> not attacking the crow. The crow ultimately flew away with the juvie,
> followed by the starlings.
> Crow eating starlings - for whom do you feel compassion???
>
> On Tue, May 15, 2018 at 8:11 AM, janine robin <janinerobin1982...>
> wrote:
>
>> My husband, Paul, just observed an American crow pulling out a MOLE from
>> it's small round hole ( where we sprinkle seed for the birds). The crow
>> pecked it, then held it up in it's bill, then dropped it and pecked again.
>> The crow did this 2 or 3 times, then flew off with it.
>> Janine Robin
>> Folsom LA
>> St Tammany parish
>>

> --
> *Robert A. Thomas, Ph.D., Professor & Director*
> Loyola Distinguished Scholar Chair in Environmental Communication
> Center for Environmental Communication
> School of Mass Communication
> &
> Environmental Program Faculty
> Loyola University Box 199
> New Orleans, LA 70118 USA
> Office: 327 Communications/Music Complex
> Voice 504-865-2107
> Cell 504-909-6568
> Fax 504-865-3799
> @DrBobNatureNote