Date: 5/15/18 7:57 am
From: Ashley Peele via VA-bird <va-bird...>
Subject: [VA-bird] SW VA hotspots and VABBA2 milestones
Located in rural Buchanan County, Poplar Gap Park was created in 2001 atop
the site of a reclaimed strip-mine. With 290 acres of grasslands and
early-successional habitat, it’s a haven for Dickcissels, Northern
bobwhites, Eastern Bluebirds, Indigo bunting, and golden-winged, Kentucky,
Black-throated green, Yellow-throated, Black-and-white, and Hooded
warblers.

To learn more about great birding spots in southwest VA or to hear about
one Atlas volunteers summer experience birding Breaks Interstate Park,
check out these Atlas stories:

https://ebird.org/atlasva/news/top-birding-locations-far-southwest-virginia

https://ebird.org/atlasva/news/transplant-atlaser-in-southwest-va

Also, CONGRATS to our VABBA2 volunteer community for reaching an
incredible milestone! The Atlas eBird portal has now received over *50,000
checklists* and has *900+ contributors*. We are so excited to see the rush
of data coming in, during these first early months of the 2018 breeding
season.

Remember to encourage your birding friends to use our portal (
ebird.org/atlasva) if they are willing/interested in reporting breeding
information.

Also! Don't forget to consult the Breeding Timeline Charts
<http://amjv.org/index.php/vabba2/getting-involved> available on the Atlas
website. We're seeing migratory species being inaccurately coded as
potential breeders, so remember to double-check whether a species IS a
Virginia breeder and IF we're actually in their Breeding window yet. This
is especially true of the Piedmont and Mountain/Valley regions, where many
passage migrants are still streaming northward.

Thanks for all that you're doing folks! As more and more data is
collected, we're going to see more Atlas blocks finished and big strides
made for this project. *We're going to knock season three out of the park!
*

All the best,

Ashley Peele, PhD
Virginia Breeding Bird Atlas Coordinator
Conservation Management Institute - Virginia Tech

Office: 540-231-9182
Fax: 540-231-7019