Date: 5/15/18 5:17 am
From: Ric Zarwell <birdingricz...>
Subject: [ia-bird] Yellow River S.F. + Listing
IABirders:

Yesterday I felt a need to get away from my computer screen and spent just short of 2 hours birding Yellow River S.F. in Allamakee Co. Feathered friends were still quite active at mid-day. FOY species were: several Cerulean Warblers, dueling Wood Thrush songsters, and a very close view of a Golden-winged Warbler. Year list now at an even 330 (Lower 48 States List). I had missed the recent huge passerine movement in southern and central Iowa described by others, due to bird survey work within the huge black desert of row-cropped corn and soybean fields in NW Iowa where weather conditions were nearly the opposite and migrating passerines were minimal. Hopefully the next few days will somewhat make up for that.

Most exciting bird so far this year for me, was a pair of up close and personal Montezuma Quail, my nemesis species. I’d missed this species too many times in AZ, but got lucky on my first try in west Texas. Found at McDonald Observatory in Davis Mts. while walking the highest paved road in TX. Species # 698 for Lower 48 States list. Working my second job representing Rockjumper Worldwide Birding Adventures certainly has been a big help for my listing, as it was in TX with state list there currently at 415. My wife Betty & I live a life of sincere gratitude!

If anyone would like a Rockjumper catalog listing ~ 300 scheduled tours to 100 nations annually (birding tours, wildlife safaris and photography expeditions + unscheduled customized private tours), let me know directly off-list. Or see details at www.rockjumperbirding.com <http://www.rockjumperbirding.com/> .

Enjoy the most active birding month of the year at the Iowa latitude!

Ric

Ric Zarwell
PO Box 299
Lansing, IA 52151-0299