Date: 5/14/18 8:31 pm
From: Herbert Larner via VA-bird <va-bird...>
Subject: [VA-bird] Eastern Shore Birding
Hello all

Yesterday morning on a whim I drove to the Eastern Shore to do a little "fast " birding I left my house at 5 am & arrived at the Shore by 8 :30ish am . First Stop Ramp road

Here I had Clapper Rail , White Ibis about 10 , , Great & Snowy Egret , Little Blue Heron & Prairie Warbler , Yellow -breasted Chat , Summer tanager .

Next stop was on Rt 600 in a plowed field Gulls - Laughing & Herring , Black - bellied & Semipalmated Plover's .

Next stop Willis Warf -- I see that the new building have been built & blocking most of the mud flats but by moving to the platform I could see the area ok . Here I saw Canada Goose , one lone Snow Goose maybe injured , D C Cormorant , Gulls Herring , Laughing , three Gull - billed Terns & Forester's & one Common Tern , Many Dunlin , a few Willet's , about 15 Whimbrel , & 7 + Marbled Godwit's .

Next stop was at Saxis Where I had Marsh Wren & Seaside Sparrow Herring , Laughing , Great Black Backed Gull's , Tern's Gull - billed -- 2 ,Least -- 2 & Forester's Two Black Duck

Next stop was the causeway going into Chincoteague --- here I had Tricolored Heron , Little Blue Heron Great , & Snowy Egret , many Dunlin , Semipalmated plover , sandpiper , Least , Short - billed Dowitcher , Black -necked Stilt , Gulls , Great Black Backed , Herring & Laughing . I know that the level of Laughing Gulls have dropped off because of the rising water levels but I can remember my first spring in 1992 there seemed to be thousands & thousands of Laughing Gulls the noise levels so high with they calls & now today seems to be quite compared to 1992 .

Next stop Tom;s Cove area Many Semi Plover & Sandpipoer , Piping Plover -- 5 , Dunlin , Least , Short - billed Dowitcher , Least Tern , Black Skimmer , Royal , & Forester's & at 3 :30 pm I entered the Wildlife Loop Here I found a Single Western Sandpiper & thousands of Peeps , Dunlin , Dowitcher species ( Short / Long ) too far out & heat shimmers . The regular Terns & Gulls , Mallard , Gadwall pair , Canada Goose , Great & Snowy Egret's , Glossy Ibis about 10+ . With that I left at 5 pm & got home around 10 ;30 last night .

Allen Larner

Staunton