Date: 5/14/18 7:23 pm
From: Pete Janzen <pete.janzen...>
Subject: Seeking Sedgwick County Heronries
I got a call from Alan Maccarone at Friends University. He has done
research on colonial nesting herons here in the Wichita area for many
years. This year it seems there is not a large mixed species heronry in
the area, or at least he and his studets have not found one. There is a
seemingly pure colony of Great Egrets in the residential area near Towne
West, there is a Black-crowned Night-Heron colony at the zoo, and the
Yellow-crowned Night Herons are in their usual haunts. What is missing
from prior years is a colony of nesting Snowy Egrets, Cattle Egrets and
Little Blue Herons. So if you are aware of one let me know and I'll pass
it along. I have not been out birding in Kansas for most of the past six
weeks so I don't know what's going on. This is NOT a request for
sightings of individual birds. This is a request for information on
large numbers of birds building large numbers of nests constructed with
sticks in a concentrated area. Obviously I've been mistaken for someone
who still gets out chasing birds around town and that just isn't the
case currently. I don't know if the big heronry in the Hutchinson area
is as active as last year or if it is even in the same location near the
Stratica Museum. That one may not be of interest to the Friends people,
I don't know the nature or parameters of their studies.

--
Pete Janzen Wichita, KS <pete.janzen...>

For KSBIRD-L guidelines go to
mailto:<ksbird-l-request...>

Join us on Facebook!