Date: 5/14/18 6:34 pm
From: 'Chris Edwards' via IA-BIRD <ia-bird...>
Subject: [ia-bird] Butler County
I decided to work on a Butler County list today, with a goal of 100 species.
I had a crazy good day and ended with 137 species in about 8 hours.

I spent the morning at Heery Woods State Park, which straddles the Shell
Rock River near Clarksville (which according to the sign is the home of
American Idol finalist Maddie Poppe). There aren't a lot of facilities at
the park, but what a beautiful woods! Warblers were abundant and I tallied
20 species. Highlights:
Red-shouldered Hawk 1
Pileated Woodpecker 1
Yellow-bellied Flycatcher 1
Veery 3
Gray-cheeked Thrush 4
Pine Warbler 1
Mourning Warbler 3
Large numbers of Ovenbirds, Common Yellowthroats, American Redstarts,
Magnolia Warblers, and Chestnut-sided Warblers.

In Allison I found Pine Siskins and Eurasian Collared-Doves.

I spent the afternoon at Big Marsh. There's good shorebird habitat west of
Hwy. 14 but a scope is necessary. Highlights:
Snowy Egret 1
American Avocet 1
Black-bellied Plover 1
Hudsonian Godwit 8
Stilt Sandpiper 11
Sanderling 1
Dunlin 52
White-rumped Sandpiper 1
Wilson's Phalarope 10
Peregrine Falcon 1
Sedge Wren 2
American Pipit 2
Henslow's Sparrow 2
Lingering Greater White-fronted, Snow, and Ross's Geese.
Large numbers of Northern Waterthrushes, Common Yellowthroats, American
Redstarts, and Yellow Warblers.
One of the largest Cliff Swallow colonies I've ever seen.

I finished the day with a pair of Gray Partridges, Vesper Sparrow, and Lark
Sparrow along gravel roads west of Shell Rock.

Chris Edwards
Solon, IA
<credwards...>