Date: 5/14/18 6:22 pm
From: Brochu, Christopher A <chris-brochu...>
Subject: [ia-bird] scrub jay question (not a sighting - not really, anyway - and not really Iowa related)

Folks,

I'm on my way home from a research trip to Mexico City. I've been eating my heart out about the fallouts (fallsout?) I've missed, but then I remember that a lot of the birds I saw either in the city or in the highlands south of it (mostly Morelos state) as recently as this morning are north-bound migrants. So migration is still very much happening.

Question - do any of you know the geographic range of the Sumichrast's subspecies of Woodhouse's scrub jay? Or know who to ask? This is a form of Woodhouse's scrub jay found in Mexico, but all I can get from some recent peer-reviewed papers is "south of the Transvolcanic Line." This is a bit like saying Missouri is "south of Canada."

chris

Christopher A. Brochu
Professor & Director of Undergraduate Studies, Department of Earth & Environmental Sciences
Past Chair, CLAS Faculty Assembly
University of Iowa
Iowa City, IA 52242 USA
phone 319-353-1808