Date: 5/14/18 5:45 pm
From: pep4223 <pep4223...>
Subject: Amazing Warblers - Jefferson County
Sorry for the late posting. On Saturday, May 12, birding friends Chuck, Wade, Robin and I went scouting for warblers in Jefferson County. Robin and I started at my house, and as we were standing on the edge of the pond talking, a gorgeous male Chestnut-sided Warbler (CSWA) landed only a few feet from us on the opposite side of the water feature. We froze while watching it up close through our binoculars. It was oblivious to us, so must have just landed from its migration that morning. We watched it for a good two minutes before it flew off and landed in a nearby dogwood shrub. Wow! That was the closest I've ever been to a CSWA. We also had an American Redstart.

We then proceeded to Bolivar Heights in Harper's Ferry National Historical Park (HFNHP), meeting up with Chuck and Wade how had just seen 2 Red-headed Woodpeckers at ground zero. They were pretty happy with that. We also found the following:

Black-and-White Warbler (2)

Northern Parula (2)

Magnolia Warbler (1)

Chestnut-sided Warbler (1)

Yellow-rumped Warbler (2)

Orchard Oriole (1)

Yellow-billed Cuckoo (2)

Blackpoll Warbler (1)

Then we moved to Nash Farm in the HFNHP:

Yellow-billed Cuckoo (1)

Tennessee Warbler (1) good looks while singing

Blackpoll Warbler (2)

Scarlet Tanager (2)

We then moved to Virginius Island in HFNHP:

Blackpoll Warbler (3)

Scarlet Tanager (1)

Black-throated Green Warbler (1)

Shenandoah River, Millville to Route 115 via Bloomery Road:

Prothonotary Warbler (1)

Common Yellowthroat (2)

Yellow Warbler (1)

Grasshopper Sparrow (1)