Date: 5/14/18 5:48 pm
From: David Williams <davewilliams8...>
Subject: Tomahawk Creek Park, Johnson County
I joined Malcolm Gold to walk Tomahawk Creek Park in Leawood KS this morning on the trails south of 119th St. We were joined on the walk for much of the time by Nancy Leo, Pat StJohn, Micky Louis and Linda Bryan.

A slow walk over 4 hours on the paths yielded a lot of birds, and a lot of song, with 17 species of warblers. We had good to exceptional looks at all of the warblers except for Golden-winged & Kentucky which were heard only. Highlights:

Blackburnian Warbler - 1 with killer looks, 2 others briefer, good for some looks, 2 by voice,
Chestnut-sided Warblers - multiple birds seen well, 5 at least, we listed 7,
Canada Warbler - 2 for certain, 1 with great looks,
Mourning - 3, with looks at birds on the bank across the creek,
Magnolia Warbler - 2 or 3 with great looks, 2 others heard, maybe glimpsed.

Others - Black-and-white, Tennessee, Orange-crowned, Nashville, Common Yellowthroat, American Restart, Northern Parula, Yellow, Blackpoll, Wilson’s.

Blue-headed, at least 2 Philadelphia, Warbling and Red-eyed Vireos were present.

We walked with warblers on the brain and likely under-reported some species. Much credit goes to the great ears of Malcolm and Nancy. We had a great morning, a great time.

Dave Williams
Leavenworth County Ks

https://listserv.ksu.edu/ksbird-l.html
For KSBIRD-L guidelines go to