Date: 5/14/18 2:47 pm
From: <searleslr...> <searleslr...>
Subject: [ia-bird] Grammer Grove, Marshall County
This morning, a three-hour, slow-motion walk at Grammer Grove near Liscomb,
Iowa, garnered 50 total species. At times I was surrounded by Magnolia
Warblers to the point that I figured they must be Redstarts in disguise.
But no, numerous Magnolias. A photo proved that I had not seen a Brown
Creeper (would-be species 51), but rather a Black-and-White Warbler.

On arrival at home in Marshalltown, there was a Harris's Sparrow on the
ground near the feeders.

(Yesterday's notables at Timmons Woods, near Albion, included Yellow,
Magnolia, Blackburnian, Orange-Crowned, Northern Parula, Tennessee, Palm,
Chesnut-Sided, Golden-Winged, and Black-and-White Warblers, and numerous
Swainson's Thrushes.)

Canada Goose
Turkey Vulture
Broad-Winged Hawk
Barred Owl
Ring-Necked Pheasant
Mourning Dove
Ruby-Throated Hummingbird
Northern Flicker
Red-Headed Flicker
Red-Bellied Woodpecker
Downy Woodpecker
Great Crested Flycatcher
Least Flycatcher
Willow Flycatcher
Eastern Kingbird
Yellow-Throated Vireo
White-Breasted Nuthatch
Black-Capped Chickadee
Blue Jay
American Crow
House Wren
Ruby-Crowned Kinglet
American Robin
Swainson's Thrush
European Starling
Magnolia Warbler (f, m)
Chestnut-Sided Warbler
Black-Throated Green Warbler
Palm Warbler
Black-and-White Warbler
American Redstart
Ovenbird
Common Yellowthroat
Gray Catbird
Brown Thrasher
Eastern Towhee
Lark Sparrow
Chipping Sparrow
Field Sparrow
Vesper Sparrow
Song Sparrow
White-Throated Sparrow
Baltimore Oriole
Eastern Meadowlark
Common Grackle
Red-Winged Blackbird
Brown-Headed Cowbird
Rose-Breasted Grosbeak (f, m)
Northern Cardinal
American Goldfinch

A most gratifying two days. It's been forty-some years since I've seen the
Blackburnian and Black-Throated Green Warblers on my paper route in
southern Iowa. The main reason is spring migration usually is interrupted
by annoyances such as making a living. (It still is, but self-employment
helps.)

Lee Searles
Marshalltown