Date: 5/14/18 2:21 pm
From: Gregory William Grove <gwg2...>
Subject: Snowy Egret (and more) at Old Crow, Huntingdon Co
This afternoon I looked for the reported Little Blue Heron at Old Crow wetland near Huntingdon. I ended up with 5 members of the heron/egret clan.

Best was a Snowy Egret - which appears to be the first record for Huntingdon County.

Rather amazing when Little Blue Heron is not the best heron of the day. I did eventually see the immature LBHE already seen by several others beginning Sunday and photographed, a species that shows up every few years in the county. (Last was 2016).

Also present were Great Egret, annual but very uncommon, and the expected Great Blue and Green Herons.

Even at that I missed the Least Bittern photographed earlier by Alison Cook!

The Snowy Egret was present from 145 through 330; at various times in either the lower or upper pool.

With rivers and creeks running very high today, it is possible these birds moved into the marsh at Old Crow until stream levels subside.

Greg Grove
Editor - Pennsylvania Birds
9524 Stone Creek Ridge Road, Huntingdon, PA. 16652
814 643 3295
<gwg2...>

Join us on Facebook!