Date: 5/14/18 11:54 am
From: Marcia Watson <marshwren50...>
Subject: [MDBirding] Belated May Count Summary - PG County
Despite the heat, I had a great day doing the May Count in Prince George's
County this past Saturday. I birded along the Patuxent River at Mt.
Calvert, Jackson Landing, Croom Airport, and Selby's Landing, plus I visited
Rosaryville State Park, Cheltenham Wetlands Park, and Schoolhouse Pond.

I had 106 species for the day, a record Big Day for me in PG. Next year I
might aim for 120 - I think that number would have been reachable this year
if I had included a few more strategic stops.

Big miss for the day: Bald Eagle! Could not find one ANYWHERE. Even the
adult that usually sits out on a snag at Belt Woods was absent. And the
only shorebirds I had were at Schoolhouse Pond at the end of the day. The
tides on the Patuxent were not favorable for shorebirds at the time I was
there.

Highlights: Soras were spontaneously calling at Jackson Landing. A LEBI
and a VIRA responded to playback there. A Wild Turkey walked ahead of me
down the trail at Cheltenham Wetlands. A Wilson's Warbler foraged in a
holly tree next to my car while I was eating lunch at Mt. Calvert. I found
a Summer Tanager at Mt. Calvert, along the old railroad bed. I had
excellent looks at a Blue-Winged Warbler along the Critical Area Driving
Tour north of the Mattaponi (I walked in on the tour road, as it is only
open for driving on Sundays). Along the entrance road to Jackson Landing, I
had a Swainson's Thrush calling on one side of the road and a Red-headed
Woodpecker on the other side. I found a Gray-cheeked Thrush and a Veery at
Croom Airport, on the trail that goes behind the maintenance shed.

Overall I felt that numbers of individual birds were low, but diversity was
good. It was a fun day.

Marcia

_________

Marcia Watson

Patuxent Bird Club

A Chapter of the Maryland Ornithological Society

<http://www.patuxentbirdclub.org> www.patuxentbirdclub.org

Bowie, MD

<Marshwren50...>