Date: 5/14/18 11:28 am
From: <treasurecreek...> [sd-birds] <sd-birds-noreply...>
Subject: [sd-birds] WRMC Eastern Lawrence plus Whitewood Cardinal
We birded Eastern Lawrence county Sunday and today as part of the West River Migration Count and logged 79 species and 1855 birds. Highlight for the area was a Palm Warbler. Other highlights included 2 Red-necked Phalaropes on Sale Barn Rd near St. Onge, 11 Least Flycatchers, our first count Rough-winged Swallows-Brown Thrashers-Catbird-Ruby Crowned Kinglet. Sparrows were too thick to count them all in certain areas. Raptor numbers increased with 1 Sharp-Shinned, 1 Swainson’s, 10 Red-tails, and 5 Kestrels. This will probably be a record year for Bobolinks and we counted 25. There were more individual warblers but the species remained about the same as Butte county with Orange-crowned, Yellow, Yellow-rump, Wilson’s, and Common Yellow throat plus the one male Palm Warbler.

We arrived home and were treated with a brief visit by a female Northern Cardinal on the ground at our feeders. This was a first ever at our home.

The beautiful Western Tanagers are still coming to our feeders. We put out our oranges/nectar/jelly feeder yesterday hoping Orioles would arrive. No Orioles yet, but the Tanagers are dining on the Oriole feed in addition to the suet block.

Vic/Donna Fondy
605-269-2553

Join us on Facebook!