Date: 5/14/18 10:56 am
From: Carole Winslow <cjwinslow94...>
Subject: Clarion Co- warblers waves !- 18 for the farm, 20 for the day, so far..
I know it's just a repeat of what everyone else has reported so I'll
make it brief. I missed the great weekend everyone else add being at work
but today was pretty darn good to make up for it. As Geoff noted, there
was another great push of birds last night apparently, and it sure looked
promising when I went outside before bed. Very calm and light fog, heard a
few calls and was feeling hopeful. This morning was very foggy, no air
movement and tons of bird song. Checking the BirdCast at Cornell looked
even better for overnight. I was outside from a little after 6:30 and
started my walk around the property not long after and never came down from
the hill until close to 11:00. Even then I missed many birds. The oak trees
were just filled with warblers, I could not possibly get to them all but in
particular bay-breasted were very numerous and the first blackpolls here
were singing. I also heard the first black-billed cuckoo and a singing
yellow-throated vireo which is good for here. I would say not just in
variety but in actual numbers this was one of the best warbler migration
days I have had here in years. The numbers I reported to eBird are probably
just a fraction of what was here on the property. The list of just warblers
is below, missed a few still but I think today might be a "no work gets
done day" !

ovenbird
blue-winged
black-and-white
tennessee
nashville
yellowthroat
hooded
redstart
Cape May
northern parula
magnolia
bay-breasted
blackburnian
yellow
chestnut-sided
blackpoll
black-throated blue
black-throated green

It has just finished raining so will head back outside. Also of interest
was a pair of grasshopper sparrows, pair orchard oriole pairs, and
bobolinks finally seem to be setting up shop on my top field. They have
been present and singing and displaying the past week and today both males
a female were seen.

Good spring birding, get outside today,

Carole Winslow
Sligo, Clarion Co.