Date: 5/14/18 10:51 am
From: Wilbur Hershberger <wilhershberger...>
Subject: Cool Spring Preserve — Jefferson Co
I tried to do some recording at Cool Spring Preserve this morning. I was doing well until 8:20 when it started to rain.
There are a number of audio recordings associated with this checklist (species with an asterisk). (Apparently, the listserv software removes bold text).

Cool Spring Preserve, Jefferson, West Virginia, US
May 14, 2018 6:20 AM - 8:20 AM
Protocol: Traveling
2.0 mile(s)
Comments: Cloudy, heavy fog, calm, 63F. Started to rain lightly at 0820.
33 species

Canada Goose (Branta canadensis) 2
Ring-necked Pheasant (Ring-necked) (Phasianus colchicus [colchicus Group]) 1
Mourning Dove (Zenaida macroura) 3
Red-bellied Woodpecker (Melanerpes carolinus) 2
Eastern Wood-Pewee (Contopus virens) 1
*Alder Flycatcher (Empidonax alnorum) 1 Heard only. See recording. This bird was not very close and can be heard occasionally in the background.
After more listening, I think that this is an Alder Flycatcher. Hopefully, the editor can change this.
Eastern Phoebe (Sayornis phoebe) 1
Great Crested Flycatcher (Myiarchus crinitus) 3
White-eyed Vireo (White-eyed) (Vireo griseus [griseus Group]) 2
Warbling Vireo (Eastern) (Vireo gilvus gilvus) 3
Red-eyed Vireo (Vireo olivaceus) 2
Blue Jay (Cyanocitta cristata) 3
American Crow (Corvus brachyrhynchos) 1
Tree Swallow (Tachycineta bicolor) 12
Carolina Chickadee (Poecile carolinensis) 2
Tufted Titmouse (Baeolophus bicolor) 3
*House Wren (Troglodytes aedon) 3 Male singing along the trail at the west edge of the preserve.
Carolina Wren (Thryothorus ludovicianus) 2
Swainson's Thrush (Catharus ustulatus) 2
Wood Thrush (Hylocichla mustelina) 1
American Robin (Turdus migratorius) 1
Gray Catbird (Dumetella carolinensis) 4
Common Yellowthroat (Geothlypis trichas) 2
American Redstart (Setophaga ruticilla) 1
Magnolia Warbler (Setophaga magnolia) 1
*Field Sparrow (Spizella pusilla) 3 Male Field Sparrow singing along the trail near the gazebo.
*Yellow-breasted Chat (Icteria virens) 3 Recorded what appears to be the same male at two different locations. His territory seems large, perhaps because of the intervening field.
Northern Cardinal (Cardinalis cardinalis) 5
Indigo Bunting (Passerina cyanea) 2
Orchard Oriole (Icterus spurius) 2
*Baltimore Oriole (Icterus galbula) 3 Male and female behaving as if selecting a nest location in a Sycamore. The male was singing continuously. But, it started raining.
Red-winged Blackbird (Agelaius phoeniceus) 5
American Goldfinch (Spinus tristis) 5

View this checklist online at https://ebird.org/view/checklist/S45666917 <https://ebird.org/view/checklist/S45666917>

Wil Hershberger
Nature Images and Sounds, LLC <http://www.natureimagesandsounds.com/>