Date: 5/14/18 9:45 am
From: Marc Ribaudo via VA-bird <va-bird...>
Subject: [VA-bird] Dickcissel, alder flycatcher, Bristoe Balltefield
I had a great walk at Bristoe Battlefield in Nokesville, Prince William County this morning. Highlights were 2 pairs of dickcissels and a calling alder flycatcher, but many other birds were present and I listed 62 species in all. Right from the start I encountered a flock of warblers in the woods next to the parking lot that included blackpoll, bay-breasted, black-throated blue, black-throated green, magnolia, Nashville, and yellow-rumped. A Swainson's thrush was also present. The fields are in excellent shape and full of grasshopper sparrows, field sparrows, meadowlarks, indigo buntings and blue grosbeaks. One pair of dickcissels is in one of the southernmost fields, and a second pair is near where the old silo was, close to the parking lot. This is where I heard the alder flycatcher. A black vulture appears to be nesting in the old barn close to Rt. 619. An adult male rose-breasted grosbeak flew over, heading north.

Marc Ribaudo
<moribaudo...>