Date: 5/14/18 7:53 am
From: Geoff Malosh <pomarine...>
Subject: Re: Warbler numbers peaking, other misc sightings, Allegheny and Armstrong County
Last evening between 1045pm and way, way too far past bedtime on a school night, one of the most impressive springtime passages of nocturnal migrants I've ever heard passed over my house in western Allegheny Co. There were constant calls of warblers, thrushes, and tanagers, five shorebird species (at least...), a possible Dickcissel which unfortunately I don't think got picked up by the microphone after a brief check for it this morning (it happens sometimes, and unfortunately rose-breasted grosbeak is a confusion species so I would not want to confirm it without a solid recording), many cuckoos, nighthawks (maybe locals), the first ever apparent *flock* of green herons I've ever heard at night, a big flock of Bobolinks, and a few very interesting calls that need some more investigation later before confirming. This morning after dawn and about 3 hours of decent sleep, like Alan I had many birds in the yard including just the third (I think) daytime Canada Warbler that's appeared here. Good day to get out if possible.

Geoff Malosh
Allegheny County

Good birding,
Alan Buriak