Date: 5/14/18 7:15 am
From: Chris Anderson <canderson1...> [sd-birds] <sd-birds-noreply...>
Subject: [sd-birds] Sunday birds
Yesterday I ended up birding a big loop in the southeast, starting with a dismal hour or so at Newton Hills. Lots of thrushes and a Blue-winged Warbler there, but it was difficult to find much else in the fog/drizzle.

Silver Lake in Hutchinson County had a number of interesting finds, including two Black-crowned Night-Herons, Black Terns, Dickcissels, an American Bittern, and a Kelly Preheim. No luck on the Little Blue Heron.

A place called McCart Slough in Miner County had a rookery with Cormorants, Great Blue Herons, and lots of Great and Snowy Egrets.

Lake Thompson in Kingsbury County had quite a number of Sanderlings, pretty much anywhere there was a gravel beach (north, west, and the Oldham grade aka 218th St). The rec area on the north shore also had two Ruddy Turnstones, three Common Terns, and two Western Grebes.

On the way home in the evening, I spent a few hours at Lake Herman State Park near Madison, where the warblers were thick. Vast majority were Yellow-rumped and Yellow, but there were also Magnolia, Blackpoll, Tennessee, OC, Black-and-white, and a Bay-breasted.

Chris Anderson
Sioux Falls, SD

Join us on Facebook!