Date: 5/14/18 6:08 am
From: Alan Buriak <a_buriak...>
Subject: Warbler numbers peaking, other misc sightings, Allegheny and Armstrong County
Yesterday in my yard in Gibsonia, Allegheny County, with basically a stationary casual observation at various times of the day, I had 8 species of warbler, some heard but many also seen. The highlight was a clear look at a Cape May Warbler, and also a Blackpoll Warbler was singing briefly. Then early this morning I was up at the trail near the outflow at Crooked Creek Lake in Armstrong County and met Sam Gutherie for a quick early morning walk. Recently Steve Gosser and others reported huge warbler numbers at that location, and they are continuing there today. Along the creek there was a concentration of warblers that I may never have seen before and we totaled 17 warbler species through the fog and partial light in a little over an hour. There were probably 15-20 Bay-breasted Warblers foraging in multiple groups in a stretch of only about a quarter mile along the creek (reported 10 to be conservative). There were at least 3 Cape May Warblers, as well as Blackpoll, Chestnut-sided, two singing Yellow-throated (apparently breeding at that site now), Magnolia, numerous Tennessee, Blackburnian, Yellow, Common Yellowthroat, Ovenbird, Hooded, Louisiana Waterthrush, American Redstart, a single singing Cerulean, one singing Northern Parula, and Yellow-rumped. Marge Van Tassel has also reported big warbler numbers and diversity in other areas of Crooked Creek Park the last few days. On my way home I had Willow Flycatchers in the Worthington area at the intersection of Fox Hollow and Toy Rd and also two at the pond on Lafferty Rd, and Savannah Sparrows were at both Fox Hollow Rd and Green Acres Rd. A group of 4 or more Bobolinks is now pretty active along Green Acres Rd as well. Indigo Buntings and a singing Blue-winged Warbler were on Beckett Rd. Then when I arrived home there were several warblers in the trees above our yard (back in Allegheny County) and I quickly tallied 3 more Bay-breasted, and also Blackburnian, Tennessee, Chestnut-sided, and a single Swainson's Thrush was singing softly in a low branch in the back yard and FOY Eastern Wood-Pewee was present nearby too. Great time of year (but too brief!).

Good birding,
Alan Buriak
Gibsonia, Allegheny County

Join us on Facebook!