Date: 5/13/18 8:28 pm
From: Danny Akers <BirdManDan1231...>
Subject: [ia-bird] Central Iowa birding 5/13/18
Hi All,

I attempted to bird around the rain and storms today, first hitting Hendrickson Marsh in Story Co. before turning back west and spending a considerable amount of time hiking at Ledges State Park in Boone Co. and exploring the roads around Boone Forks WMA in Hamilton Co. I tallied 24 warbler species, (23 alone at Ledges) and observed well over 200 Catharus thrushes today. Really cool experience!

Hendrickson Marsh, Story Co.

-1 Willow Flycatcher

-1 WESTERN KINGBIRD (working a fenceline in a burned field from the parking lot on the west end)

-50+ Catharus thrushes, including multiple Gray-cheeked and Veery foraging the burned field next to the road

-35+ American Pipits, many flying over and foraging in the burned field

-8 warbler species

Ledges State Park, Boone Co.

-1 Broad-winged Hawk

-30+ Least Flycatchers

-singing Philadelphia Vireo

-singing WINTER WREN (first creek crossing down the canyon road)

-130 + Catharus thrushes, including singing Veery, multiple Gray-cheeked, and over 100 Swainson's!

-23 warbler species, including: 3 LOUISIANA WATERTHRUSH, 7 Golden-winged, 1 Prothonotary, ~50 Tennessee, 1 Mourning, 1 Cape May, and 1 female CERULEAN

-11 sparrow species, including Clay-colored and Lincoln's

-1 Summer Tanager (near the start of the canyon road)

-4 Pine Siskin

Boone Forks WMA (general area), Hamilton Co.

-25+ Least Flycatchers

-70+ Catharus thrushes

-16 warbler species, including Blue-winged and Golden-winged

-10 sparrow species, Clay-colored and multiple Lincoln's still hanging around

It's fantastic to have a nice cool May day with some incredible migration going on! Back to Ames with a bit of daylight left, a singing Northern Waterthrush was my 17th warbler species for the yard. You just can't beat this time of year.

Danny Akers

Ames