Date: 5/13/18 7:58 pm
From: John Bissell <john.annabissell...>
Subject: [ia-bird] The past 5 days of migration
I was busy most of today, but still managed to squeeze in a little birding
time. At the Brenton arboretum in Dallas County, I saw FOY Lark Sparrow and
Eastern Towhee. I then checked out the flooded basin just south of Green
Acres Sod Farm near Waukee and saw 11 American Golden Plovers and a FOY
Black-bellied Plover all decked out in gorgeous breeding plumage. Finally,
in my yard in Grimes, I have been also enjoying the massive Baltimore
Oriole invasion with as many as 15 seen at once and an Orchard Oriole mixed
in. By far, the most Orioles I’ve ever seen at one time in my yard.

Which leads me to my parting question to the long time birders and IOU
members... can anyone remember a 5 day stretch of Spring birding that has
been this good in Iowa? Since I seriously started birding around 2002, I
can’t think of a year that comes close.

Good birding
John Bissell
Grimes