Date: 5/13/18 7:45 pm
From: Jim Forde <jimforde...>
Subject: [ia-bird] Prairie Warbler at Croton Unit-Lee Co.
There's a singing PRAIRIE WARBLER at the west most Croton Unit of Shimek State Forest. The unit is untamed and ticky. I had a dozen ticks
in my clothing afterwards even though taking all precautions to limit them. Some were even in my pockets.

The location is difficult to explain so I'm attaching a photo of a map with "X" marking the spot. This unit is at the end of 130th Ave. and
from the end one walks the trail south to the creek. The trail forks on the other side but both paths are part of a large loop. The right
or west trail has a connecting trail that shouldn't be taken unless you want to explore the western reaches of the unit. The east trail ends up
at a large mowed opening and from there you want to go S.W. and try to find the unit's boundary. That spot is a corner of two fence lines with
a vast pasture type field on the other side. The corner is the entrance to the warbler's bushy field on the east side of the north/south fence.
I believe there was narrow path of flattened grass that lead me to it.

Jim Forde
Cedar Rapids