Date: 5/13/18 7:06 pm
From: Rennie Talbert <renniett...>
Subject: Mountain Birding
Amy and I traveled up the Williams River, Day's Run. Handley WMA, Scenic Highway, Cranberry Visitor Center, Cranberry Glades, and Muddlety trying to pick up a few birds for the year. I don't know how many species we got for the day since that wasn't what we were trying for, but I believe we got around 17 new species for the year. The highlights were:

Williams River:

Ruby-throated Hummingbird
American Redstart
Black-throated Blue Warbler (FOS)
Acadian Flycatcher (FOS)
Veery (FOS)
Common Merganser
Black-throated Green Warbler (FOS)
Canada Warbler (FOS)
Winter Wren
Chestnut-sided Warbler (FOS)
Common Yellowthroat
Louisiana Waterthrush

Handley WMA

Ovenbird
Bobolink (FOS)

Scenic Highway:

Blackburnian Warbler (FOS)
Yellow-rumped Warbler
Broadwing Hawk
Mourning Warbler (FOS)
Blue-headed Vireo

Cranberry Visitor's Center:

Pine Siskins (FOS)
Purple Finch

Cranberry Glades:

Hermit Thrush
Magnolia Warbler (FOS)
Olive-sided Flycatcher (FOS) find of the day. I believe this might be a little early, and it wasn't vocalizing. It was almost to the end of the boardwalk, in a large open swampy area--about 20 or 25 yards before you get to the large stump next to the boardwalk.
Canada Warbler
Northern Waterthrush (FOS)
Blackburnian Warbler

Falls of Hill Creek:

Least Flycatcher (FOS)

We went up there and back in one day, and probably missed a lot of birds because of all the driving we was doing.

Rennie Talbert
Birding (I believe) Nicholas, Webster, and Pocahontas counties

Join us on Facebook!