Date: 5/13/18 5:23 pm
From: <Meredith.McBurney...>
Subject: [cobirds] Bird Conservancy Banding Report - Chatfield Station, 5-13-18
Got to the station for ASGD's annual Mother's Day event to find nets very
wet from the rain the night before and no chance of drying in the foggy,
early morning air. We definitely needed a plan B! My great band of
volunteers and I packed up stuff and hauled it to the Nature Center
feeders, where we set up 3 dry nets and moved the birds in and out quickly
so that none had a chance to get cold or wet. There were lots of birds
moving around, taking advantage of the full feeders. We banded 42 new, and
also caught 3 that had been banded at the feeders several years ago. Plus
3 Broad-tailed Hummingbirds released unbanded. And, of course, a very
different mix of species than we would have likely caught had we been
working at the actual banding station:

Spotted Towhee 1 new, 1 banded in 2014
Lincoln's Sparrow 1
White-crowned Sparrow, Gambel's 1
White-crowned Sparrow, Mountain 12
Lazuli Bunting 1
Red-winged Blackbird 11 new, 1 banded in 2013 and 1 banded in 2014
Brown-headed Cowbird 3
House Finch 12

Come visit! Station is open daily, weather permitting, through the end of
May, except for Memorial Day. We open nets about 6:30 and close around
noon. If you would like to visit on a weekend, you must pre-register - go
to the Audubon Society of Greater Denver website. Perhaps the best time for
birders to visit is early in the morning during the week - fewer people and
more birds! (School groups arrive each day between 9:30 and 10:30.)

Meredith McBurney
Bander
Chatfield Banding Station
Bird Conservancy of the Rockies