Date: 5/13/18 4:47 pm
From: 'Jeff Schultz' via Birders <birders...>
Subject: [birders] Interesting Red-winged Blackbird Behavior
Greetings,

My apologies if this does not meet posting requirements for this listserve,

On my way home from visiting family in Ohio, I saw a male Red-winged Blackbird get hit and by a car in front of me.

It was flopping around on the road as I went by. I turned around in a driveway to get the poor bird.

As I was coming upon the bird after turning around, a female Red-wing flew in and landed next to the seemingly lifeless body of the male.

She walked around him, flapping her wings and poking at him. She then grabbed one of his wings and tried to pull him off the road.

She couldn’t drag him very far and then flew off.

I’ve seen a dog do something similar when another dog got hit by a car, grabbing the injured dog by the collar and dragging it off the road. But this is the first time I’ve ever seen a bird do as such.

Jeff Schultz

Este correo electrónico está en español cuando no estás buscando

Birders is a service of the Great Lakes Commission. Visit us at www.glc.org
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/a/great-lakes.net/d/msgid/birders/<61B367CC-4414-4B3A-A626-194DF48D5F6D...>