Date: 5/13/18 4:12 pm
From: DAVID KOCH <davilene...>
Subject: Grosbeaks, orioles, buntings, etc., Koch property, Northampton Counlty
Once in a while you get a day when activity is nonstop. It was overcast and rainy here today, and birds were at the feeders all day. In the front yard rose-breasted grosbeaks, both male and female, were almost constant, with 10 being the highest number at one time.  Baltimore orioles, usually a male and female together, were coming in to feed at a jelly feeder, after which the females usually went to the nesting material before leaving the yard. Three male indigo buntings, one a full two-year bird and the other two with some brown feathers, were feeding on sunflower seed at the same time. And ruby-throated hummingbird activity was the highest I've seen it here for a while. I don't, however, expect it to stay this way because I'm guessing the females haven't yet set up their territories, although I could be wrong, But there's always more feeders visits by  hummers when it rains, so we'll see. There were two adult male hummers chasing each other around, and I'm assuming one will claim the front of the yard and the other will claim the fields.  In addition to regulars like eastern bluebirds, flickers, titmice, chickadees, etc., other notables seen during a walk around the fields include a few remaining white-throated and white-crowned sparrows, yellow and yellow-rumped warbs, a female redstart, an empi I couldn't get a decent look at, a swamp sparrow, an eastern kingbird, a singing male orchard oriole, a northern waterthrush along the creek, and a flyover Cooper's hawk.

Arlene Koch, Easton, PA Northampton County <davilene...>

Join us on Facebook!