Date: 5/13/18 2:59 pm
From: Stephen Mirick <smirick...>
Subject: [MASSBIRD] Cape Ann - Birdathon list (King Eider, etc.)
Jane and I got out yesterday to help out Joppa Flats Education Center
for the Mass Audubon Birdathon.  We covered Cape Ann only as we always
do and had a great time.  Unfortunately, we couldn't put in a full day
due obligations, but still got a few nice birds, although nothing
terribly rare.  We focused on seabirds but didn't have time to cover
Halibut or the inner Gloucester harbor area. Clear early, but clouding
up.  Light NE winds and very cool for mid-May.  Started raining as we
left.  Warblers were rather quiet but there were a few around.

5:30 AM to 1:00 PM

86 species
---------------
Brant
Canada Goose
Mute Swan
Mallard
American Black Duck
KING EIDER 1     Perennial adult male at Salt Island.  I guess this guy
is now a year-round resident!!?!??!?!
Common Eider
Surf Scoter
White-winged Scoter
Black Scoter
Long-tailed Duck
Red-breasted Merganser
Wild Turkey
Red-throated Loon
Common Loon
RED-NECKED GREBE  1     Off Bass Rocks.
Northern Gannet
Double-crested Cormorant
Great Blue Heron
Great Egret
Snowy Egret
Little Blue Heron  1     Adult off Penzance Road.
Osprey  1
Red-tailed Hawk  1
Semipalmated Plover
Piping Plover  2
Killdeer
Purple Sandpiper
Least Sandpiper
Spotted Sandpiper
BLACK GUILLEMOT  4     Together off rocks at Eastern Point.
Ring-billed Gull
Herring Gull
Great Black-backed Gull
Rock Pigeon (Feral Pigeon)
Mourning Dove
Chimney Swift
Downy Woodpecker
Northern Flicker
MERLIN  1 off Bass Rocks
Eastern Phoebe
Great Crested Flycatcher
Eastern Kingbird  1 (just one)
Blue-headed Vireo  5     Relatively high count for date.
Blue Jay
American Crow
Northern Rough-winged Swallow
Tree Swallow