Date: 5/13/18 2:36 pm
From: Al Stokie <alstokie99...> [ILbirds] <ILbirds-noreply...>
Subject: IBET LaBagh Woods Sunday 5-13-18
Happy Mother's Day Bird People,

Was going to Montrose to check beach birds like I did at Waukegan
yesterday when I found out there was a big run at Montrose today. I
later learned that 2 birders that went there were turned away as only
runners got in so it was wise to go elsewhere. Went to LaBagh instead
& did pretty well although I fell short of 20 Warblers getting only
18, (maybe 19), but I had some good ones so I can't complain. Other
Warblers seen by others but not me included Blackpoll, Blackburnian,
Canada & Mourning Warbler & I also missed Yellow Warbler which is
"shame on me". Here's what I did see:

LaBagh Woods (7:45 a.m.-1:15 p.m.)

Great Blue Heron (1)
Black Crowned Night Heron (1)
Canada Geese (2)
Wood Duck (3)
Mallard (5)
Solitary Sandpiper (4)
Mourning Dove (1)
Kingfisher (1-F)
Red Bellied (3) & Downy (2) Woodpeckers
Flicker (2)
Blue Jay (2)
Crow (2)
RED BREASTED NUTHATCH (1)
White Breasted Nuthatch (2)
House Wren (4)
R.C. Kinglet (9)
B.G. Gnatcatcher (6)
Veery (3)
Gray Cheeked Thrush (1)
Swainson's Thrush (8)
Wood Thrush (Heard 2 saw 1)
Robins (25)
Gray Catbird (6)
Blue Headed Vireo (1)
GOLDEN WINGED WARBLER (1-M)
Tennessee Warbler (2)
Orange Crowned Warbler (1)
Nashville Warbler (1)
Northern Parula (1-F & 1-M)
Chestnut Sided Warbler (9)
Magnolia Warbler (12)
BLACK THROATED BLUE WARBLER (2-M)
Y.R. Myrtle Warbler (only 2)
Black Throated Green Warbler (4)
Palm Warbler (8)
Black & White Warbler (6)
American Redstart (11)
Ovenbird (2-3)
Northern Waterthrush (5)
(My "maybe" Warbler was maybe a Louisiana Waterthrush but I did not
see it well enough)
Common Yellowthroat (6-7)
HOODED WARBLER (1-M, found by Josh E.)
Wilson's Warbler (4-5)
Cardinal (3)
Rose Breasted Grosbeak (1-M)
White Crowned Sparrow (6-7)
White Throated Sparrow (2-3)
Lincoln's Sparrow (2)
Song Sparrow (heard 1)
Red Wings, Grackle & Cowbird
Baltimore Oriole (3)
Goldfinch (4)
House Sparrow (4)

I should mention that we have reached the point where there are as
many female Warblers as males in some species. The most common
Warblers seemed to be Magnolia, Chestnut Sided &
Redstarts. Myrtles have diminished in numbers as well.

I think Bird-Of-The-Day will be Josh's Hooded Warbler &
Runners-Up will be the 2 Black Throated Blues & the Golden Winged Warbler.

Except for almost falling into the river & coating my jacket & bino's
with mud at a steep "short cut" I had a fine day. Won't take that
"short cut" again at least when it's wet & muddy.

Al Stokie
In Cook County today

Posted by: Al Stokie <alstokie99...>

<*> Your email settings: