Date: 5/13/18 2:00 pm
From: Mike Tanis <michael.tanis...>
Subject: Delaware State Forest - Pike County
Delaware Water Gap NRA and State Forest Land
13 May 2016, 6am-11am
Weather: Dark, overcast with some fog and light drizzle, calm, 40-50 degrees

Today I did another May warbler trip to the Pocono Plateau. However, the weather matched the poor forecast: heavily overcast, very chilly, but at least no wind. My work schedule does not allow me to easily take time off on weekday mornings this May, so it had to be Sunday with the lousy weather, or not at all. I followed my standard route: Rt 402 to Snow Hill Road, then north to Hobday road, returning to a few spots along Silver Lake Road. The rain started in earnest just before 11am as I started down Silver Lake Road, mercifully ending a difficult morning of birding. Bird activity was very low for what should be a time of peak activity, but there were very few birds moving around and feeding, and very limited vocalization. Today required so much effort to find and identify the warblers. Besides nice looks at Golden-winged, there wasn’t much in the way of sightings to celebrate.

Notable events of the day:
* As it was for one of my visits here in 2016, there were many hundreds of Veeries along the sides of all the roads on the Pocono plateau. I did hear plenty of “veer” call notes, but only a couple of actual Veery songs all morning! And I did not with certainty find any Hermit, Gray-cheeked, or Swainson’s thrushes in with all the Veeries.
* No other birders seemed to be out and about on this Mother’s Day morning!
* ebird will have lists for some specific sites

Warblers:
---------------------
Black-throated Green
Black-and-white