Date: 5/13/18 1:56 pm
From: B Inskeep <binskeep...> [hmbirds] <hmbirds-noreply...>
Subject: Re: [HMBirds] Red-throated loon
This morning at 0545 while walking the dog along S. River St. just south of Coxsackie Boat Launch a Common Loon vocalized what is described by the Sibley app as a “yodel.” That quickly caught my attention; otherwise I might not have known it was there. Two hours later when my son was on a training swim from the house in the same area to the boat launch (presumably) the same loon was there and slowly made its way north (photos).

There was also an Osprey kiting over the river this afternoon (south of the boat launch - a yard bird) and I have had several Indigo Buntings; there is also a pair of Eastern Bluebirds nesting inside the plastic owl in the yard as they have for several years in a row. Two Common Mergansers were on the river this morning as well and a Rose-breasted Grosbeak singing from a tree in the yard. Lighting was poor at that hour and out of a feeding flock of about 10 Warblers I could identify Parula and Yellow; many Great-crested Flycatchers are around this year compared to last.

Surprisingly I saw only one (immature) Bald Eagle today, on Mother’s Day.

Bobolinks are abundant at Coxsackie Creek Grasslands on River Rd.

Happy Mother’s Day!

Brenda Inskeep
Coxsackie

> On May 13, 2018, at 3:09 PM, Richard Guthrie <richardpguthrie...> [hmbirds] <hmbirds-noreply...> wrote:
>
> I found a "runt" Common Loon at the Coxsackie Boat Launch on the Hudson River at Coxsackie last evening. It was still in "winter" or immature plumage. But it was with two Common Loons in breeding plumage for direct size comparison.
>
> I studied it for quite a while and took many photos. Unfortunately, they were very distant and the light was fading fast.
>
> It was clear that it was not a Red-throated Loon, but I was hoping for an exotic species such as the Pacific Loon. But after looking at the poor quality photos, and consulting with Andrew, we decided that was not to be. The size really threw us off.
>
> For what they're worth, I can try to post some of those photos later when I can download them.
>
> Rich Guthrie
> New Baltimore,
> The Greener County,
> New York
>

>> On Sun, May 13, 2018 at 2:36 PM, rob snell <snell.rob...> [hmbirds] <hmbirds-noreply...> wrote:
>>
>> Oddly enough , I had a Red Throated loon of similar plumage in front of our house on Sacandaga yesterday. Equally unusual, I have had Pine Siskin and Purple Finches at my feeder. Rob
>>

>> Sent from my iPad
>>
>>> On May 13, 2018, at 10:55 AM, Alan Mapes <alanmapes...> [hmbirds] <hmbirds-noreply...> wrote:
>>>

>>> I agree, Jeff. Red-throated.

> --
> Richard Guthrie

Join us on Facebook!