Date: 5/13/18 12:19 pm
From: Richard Guthrie <richardpguthrie...> [hmbirds] <hmbirds-noreply...>
Subject: Re: [HMBirds] Red-throated loon
I found a "runt" Common Loon at the Coxsackie Boat Launch on the Hudson
River at Coxsackie last evening. It was still in "winter" or immature
plumage. But it was with two Common Loons in breeding plumage for direct
size comparison.

I studied it for quite a while and took many photos. Unfortunately, they
were very distant and the light was fading fast.

It was clear that it was not a Red-throated Loon, but I was hoping for an
exotic species such as the Pacific Loon. But after looking at the poor
quality photos, and consulting with Andrew, we decided that was not to be.
The size really threw us off.

For what they're worth, I can try to post some of those photos later when I
can download them.

Rich Guthrie
New Baltimore,
The Greener County,