Date: 5/13/18 12:14 pm
From: DAVID PATICK <patick...>
Subject: Big Day
Derek Courtney, Matt Orsie, Gary Rankin and I did our annual Big Day on Saturday May 12th. We managed to tie our 4th highest Big Day record with 147 species observed. We birded in Cabell and Mason County and finished up in the mountains covering Nicholas and Pocahontas County. Our last species was the Northern Saw-whet Owl heard around 1045 pm on the Scenic Highway. We birded from 330 am thru 1045 pm covering 388 auto miles. We got 31 warblers plus the Chat and all 3 Goatsuckers including the Chuck-will's-widow. We heard both rails-the Virginia Rail and Sora. We had both Alder and Olive-sided Flycatcher at the Cranberry Glades Boardwalk. We weren't lucky with duck species and didn't see a Bald Eagle. It was a very satisfying and rewarding experience for all of us.

David Patick,

Huntington, WV 25701

Join us on Facebook!